Sunday 15 August 2010

Doing A Blackwell

REGULAR READERS will have noticed that I made a complete ass of myself on two separate occasions reporting flash warnings from the Met office promising local torrential downpours. In both cases we had a little rain; but the predicted thunder and lightning, accompanied by metaphorical cats and dogs, never materialised.

Canvey, it transpires, does not have its own weather station (perhaps the Town Council can look into that). It seems that Shoeburyness is the nearest and one has the choice of reporting Met Office predictions for either Southend or Basildon.

Yesterday, I again attempted to provide islanders with some warning of the stormy weather flashed to me by my Met Office feed. We did, then, obtain the predicted downpour; but, when the weather brightened-up, this Blog was left with the old forecast as its lead – and I therefore deleted it.

Now weather forecasts are an important aspect of my life. I rely upon them to tell me when conditions are right for taking those lucrative stock photos – and I also need them to accurately predict when I can get away with not washing my car. Accurate rain forecasts, I have found, can save considerable expense in unnecessary, or ill-timed, valeting fees.

In an attempt to bring visitors these valuable savings, and ensure that all islanders are informed when the island needs to be evacuated, I have now placed a Met Office weather widget in this Blog’s right hand column. If nothing else, it is amusing to see how the five-day forecast often changes by the hour.

But there is a serious aspect to these predictions. Although the Met Office sometimes gets its predictions wrong, more often than not they are right. (I just appear to have had a particularly bad run on my published selection). Moreover, the gadget now placed in these pages is particularly powerful.

The key is not to rely too much on the description of the five-day forecasts; but to use the maps intelligently. They provide a snapshot of the rainclouds over England and Wales; barometric pressure and temperature – which are all regularly updated. In addition, a ‘Weather Warning’ icon appears in the gadget’s top right corner when conditions begin to change for the worse, and you need only click upon it to reveal the detailed information.

In particular, the gadget allows me to do a Blackwell.

I can now place the blame for my own dead trees upon the contractor I employed to plant them…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...