Monday 10 January 2011

You May Have To Be Quick To Catch This

Blackwell vows to fight Tories on the beaches

CLICK HERE NOW TO OPEN THE CANVEY ISLAND INDEPENDENT PARTY’S FACEBOOK PAGE IN YOUR BROWSER (before it disappears)..

It is, of course, the page that the CIIP created on 11 June 2009, just after the local elections. But it was maintained up to 7 May 2010, when it then appears to have been abandoned the day following the local elections last year.

Hopefully, all readers will be able to examine the page (it really is not that long), because it encapsulates the Canvey Island Independent Party’s last campaign on the island. And it also foretells details of the campaign that the CIIP will be running this year.

As readers will see, it contains all the political arguments that the CIIP is capable of producing, and which they turn-out every year at election time. And, just as then, the party will be busy fooling islanders into believing that they have much more support than is actually the case.

They will do this, like they do on their Facebook page referenced here, by commenting on their own posts and manufacturing their own scattering of approvals by ‘liking’ what each other has to say.

And now I need to apologise to Facebook users, mainly on Canvey Island, whom I experimented on last night.

Since setting-up my own Facebook page, to find additional readers for this Blog when it was on WordPress, I have never asked anyone to ‘be my friend.’ Instead I have just allowed all those requesting to be my friend (with the exception of some risqué characters) to become mine. But last night I decided to conduct an experiment and ask 35 individuals, whom I did not know, to be my friend. Thirty-three consented (and will now receive notifications of my Blogs’ posts).

I wanted to find-out how difficult it might be to source the 77 friends that the CIIP page professes to have. Frankly it is not difficult. This Blog has Canvey in its title – the CIIP has Canvey in theirs. And the genteelness of Canvey folk usually ensures that a friend request is accepted.

Facebook also made things easy by listing all its Canvey users for me to choose from.

I would have asked 80 Canvey Facebook users to read my blurb; but, frankly, I lacked the courage. I took a deep breath – and, instead, just targeted 35.

What I did find surprising though, and slightly worrying if I were writing a different story, was that only two bothered emailing me to ask who the hell I was – and why I wanted to see what they were writing (which is what friends are allowed to do).

It would seem that there is some kudos amongst young Facebook users to collect as many friends as possible.

Parents, perhaps, should beware…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...